Saturday, February 20, 2010

testing testing

My wonderful bf, Devin, bought the upgrade to his Manga Studio so I could have Manga Studio 4.0. Oh man, it is 100% amazing. When using any of the tools it automatically steadies the line...which makes a crisp and clean well-weighted line. Now, I have a tablet so it makes it easier to get different line weights but this works with a mouse, too.

There are pre-toned brushes too...all of which blew my mind away. Seriously, this makes everything SO much easier, especially if you're starting a manga/comic book/web comic. I know me + backgrounds don't always go well together and this program eases my mind about backgrounds! (at least simple, random background)
Here's my quick practice picture of Chase:

The image itself was super huge so I had to save it as a Photoshop file (.psd) and resize it in Photoshop. Saving was a little bit of an issue for me. Devin had to help (he has a tad bit of experience with the program. Tonight was the first time I ever touched it!) Instead of normal Save As I had to Export the image file in pixels which allowed me to change the format. Then when I got it into Photoshop it was as a bitmap...so I had to change it to grayscale (Image -> Mode -> Grayscale) before I could resize it correctly without distorting the pixels.

All in all, Manga Studio 4.0 gets an A+ from me so expect more from it! :]

Other than that my mind has been racing with artwork ideas. Firstly, I had Bad Romance by Lady Gaga playing in my car on the way home...unfortunately, the image that came tom my mind was my geeky gamer character Nolan dancing in sequined boxers trying to grind up on Oserin, who looks as if she might kill him (but then again, when does she not?). Sikris might walk in...that I am undecided. If he does he's going to walk back out and then burst out laughing, I know that much. Haha.

Another idea I had was drawing lots of Shady. You see, I want to learn some yoga so I had the idea that I would draw Shady in each position that I learn! It could be fun :]

I'm also debating on giving a few characters a makeover. Chase has looked the same for the last four years. I might change it up a tad...just to see what he looks like. I don't have to keep the changes, but it might be fun to do. Os is still a relatively new character still but I was thinking about giving her a cute little pixie haircut instead of her longish short hair. We'll see. I might makeover some other chars too :]

The Scarf Series is going to get going sometime in the near future. The finished pieces will be posted on dA. Would you like to see progress shots as I go?

Okay, I've rambled enough for tonight! Until later!

4 comments:

  1. I hope Manga Studio works well for you, and you get awesome results! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very neat! I had seen Manga studio advertised for years at Comic-Con but never really LOOKED at it. I'm always so sketchy about programs like that. But could use the steading--that looks nice. And the insta backgrounds! X)
    What is the scarf series?
    -Min

    ReplyDelete
  3. Min~
    It's so cool! Haha. I recommend the free trial to try it out and at least see if you like it. For an arting program it's pretty cheap, around $50 or so. Everything's black and white though, which is why it's so cheap, I'm sure ^^

    The Scarf Series is something that I've planned to do for about a year and a half now. I love scarves...and I wanted to draw all of my characters in scarves. I just never knew how I wanted to do it. My good friend Cody just had a birthday and I actually drew his characters on the white side of notecards...just busts, all in scarves. It was really neat. I'll load them in an update or two (if he gives me permission). If I'm feeling ambitious I'm planning on adding my friends chars too :]]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chaaasee!!
    Ill say it again, he is adorable <333

    I am glad you are having fun with that new program. I once was recommended to use it, but I never got to get it xD Now I feel it could be a goood idea to take a look at it.

    ReplyDelete